Help with bandages

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Birdwatcher, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Help with bandages

Postby burnedoutmom » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:52 pm

I am geting my right leg wrapped for the first time this coming week. The wrapping will be from my toes all the way up the thigh. does anyone have any other suggestions than trying to find shapewear boy shorts to keep the bandages up? I'm in the plus sizes, so there's not many places I can get shapewear garments in my size.

Jackie :?: :?: :?:
burnedoutmom

Re: Help with bandages

Postby patoco » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:01 am

Hi Jackie

Super welcome to our family here :) :!:

I wish there was a fool proof way of keeping those bandages up.

Some people have had success using a product called it Stays - you can take a look here:

http://www.lymphedemaproducts.com/produ ... sives.html

Some also will actually use wide masking tape.

I found that it can also be the way you wrap that can help. I wrap using more of a criss cross pattern. That seems to be better then just straight wrapping around the leg.

The upper part of the leg is going to be the real challenge and you may have to try several approaches before you find something that works.

Hope the first wrapping goes great - let us know!!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Queenie EJC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:12 am

I have a wonderful lymphedema therapist who is also very realistic, having primary lymphedema herself. I had the usual course of CDT where she would do the bandaging but, after discharge following completion, she made sure I had the proper tools in place to eliminate the need for self-bandaging. I had my custom-made Elvarex stockings, the Flexitouch machine, and Reid Sleeves for nighttime. This is effective in maintaining for the most part the reduction from the CDT. Of course, follow-up periodically with the therapist is a given to be sure that things don't get out of hand, and sometimes a "touch-up" by the therapist is necessary. We all agree, her included, that nothing takes the place of bandaging for ultimate control, but I appreciate her realistic, practical approach to a very challenging daily routine because I have done daily bandaging in the past, in my particular case with limited success because I wasn't able to bandage as well as the therapist. I might also add here that there is a bandage rolling machine which trims time required for self-bandaging.
Queenie EJC

Postby motherhen55 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Have they ever done the MLD treatments. Its called Manual Lymp Drainage and since the lymp node don't work in your legs they try to find a different path for the liquid to go . It is very interesting and it does work.

Kimberly
motherhen55

Postby edemagirl54 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:26 pm

I just recently went through 12 sessions of MLD and CDT. It worked for me and the wraps were a joy to wear, I just received my custom made stockings and fine them to be a nuisance, I would rather wear the compression wraps instead. Now I see my therapist once a month just to maintain the lyphedema. I have it in both legs, couple of years ago it was only the right leg. No one could tell me what it was and why it was happening. After many years of suffering I had managed to send my photo to the Lymphedema Network where they inform me that that is what I may have. Finally, I had my doctor refer me to a clinic and sure enough there i was told that I have bilateral Lymphedema. Lord be hold it only took 10 years from the first leg swelling. More doctors need to be aware of this and quit giving out dietary water pills. more to say but I'll just leave it at that. oh, I forgot for those of you looking at how to properly wrap yourself with your compression bandages You Tube has some excellent video's showing you step by step. After alittle practise you'll be as good as your therapist. LOL

edemagirl54 :) :(
edemagirl54

Postby blubrdfrend » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:11 pm

edemagirl54, I noticed that you are using a photo of my foot for your avatar. Only kidding folks. That is probably edemagirl's foot. I did notice that the skin on your foot is very red. My toes are about the same color. Does anyone know what causes the red color. Sometimes it is worse than other times.
Betty
blubrdfrend

Postby nancycels » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 pm

How you wrap is definitely key. Get your therapist to demo how to do it and then critique your skills over and over till you get it right. I know when I come home from therapy it stays up and on all day, but when I do it myself or my spouse does it doesn't stay up as well. Ditto the masking tape, it does work especially if you have one area that keeps popping open/off. I don't think you want to use it up and down the whole leg though I don't think that's what anyone was suggesting. Best of luck!
nancycels

Postby Wendy » Tue May 14, 2013 5:11 pm

I am bandaged from toe to groin , both legs. My wrapper uses Cobain2 for the wrapping, secures it with tape at the top, then covers the whole thing with a stretchy mesh stocking like material. They can use it to fit any size legs as it was originally used as a torso wrap, I also use a shape wear bicycle type pant. They come in sizes X - 5X and I purchased mine at Pennington's.
Wendy

Return to Leg Lymphedema