Knee Surgery

leg pain, leg bleeding, Farrow Wraps, Compression Stockings, cold feet, Reid Sleeve, Restless Leg Syndrome, Leg Cramps, Compression Pumps, Shoes, lower limb lymphedema, secondary leg lymphedema, leg wrapping, Cold Feet, Compression socks, nerve pain, self leg massage, right leg lymphedema

Moderators: Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Knee Surgery

Postby cleo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:18 am

Have very painful knee from old sports injury that could do with repair! But...have lympedema, not severe, as a result of lymph gland removal. Is surgery possible/advisable? Would appreciate any input.
cleo

Re: Knee Surgery

Postby patoco » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:42 am

Hey Cleo

Anytime you have surgery in an area effected by lymphedema, there is always a possibility of making it worse.

However, the actual record for such surgeries as joint replacement (as an example) have been very good for lymphers.

The actual most common complication experienced has been infection. So your doctors will need to pay special attention to that and I would recommend starting a preventative course of oral antibiotics a week before the surgery.

I do this too and it has helped greatly when I have had any type of intrusive procedure.

If you have a LE therapist, let them know too that you rae going to hvae surgery and see if they might want you to do anything special - either before or after.

Let us know how it goes too!!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby cleo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:02 am

Many thanks Patoco. You gave me the confidence to get the knee looked at and I have just had an arthroscopy which will hopefully get rid of damaged cartilage and other bits of rubbish. No pain [bliss!] and I am able to get my pressure stocking on over the bandaging which is helping recovery and keeping leg stable. On course of antibiotics as suggested for added protection. Your advice discussed with orth surgeon I was well prepared, nursing understanding excellent and your advice much appreciated.
Celia [Cleo]
cleo

Postby patoco » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:49 am

Hi There Celia :)

So glad I could help :!:

Here's prayers going for the best to you and for some perfect healing too!

Let me know how you are doing too.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Queenie EJC » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:49 am

I have severe osteoarthritis of both knees and severe lymphedema of both legs since cancer treatment many years ago. I was told by my orthopedic surgeon, compression therapist, and MLD therapist that knee replacement should not be attempted because of high risk for infection and problems with wound healing.
Queenie EJC

Postby cleo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Queenie my L leg was affected after cancer surgery. I had an arthroscopy which helped the knee pain for a short time. I have not been able to get my knee and thigh down to its previous measurement since the arth so decided to try kenesio taping. I am finding this to be very successful [but have been told that others cannot cope with the tape so it's not a cure-all] but the point was made that it is 100% inadvisable to have surgery when effected by lymphedema. Any thoughts I may have had re further surgery have now gone out of the window!!
cleo

Postby Queenie EJC » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks, Cleo, I haven't heard of the taping you mention. Good information. I will discuss this with my MLD therapist. :)
Queenie EJC

Postby patoco » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:56 am

Hey Queenie

Here is our info page on Kensio Taping:

Lymphedema and Kensio taping

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... taping.htm

Also despite the lack of studies, many of our members here and in our Yahoo support groups report that for them, Kensio has been a great help, even in children with lymphedema.

BTW, this page is specifically for knee replacement, it will give you info on knee surgeries on a lymphedema leg.

Lymphedema and Total Knee Replacement

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite ... cement.htm

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Queenie EJC » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks, Pat. You are so helpful. There's so much good information on this website!
Queenie EJC

Return to Leg Lymphedema